|Games of the XV Olympiad|
|Host city||w:Helsinki, Finland|
|Events||149 in 17 sports|
|Opening ceremony||July 19|
|Closing ceremony||August 3|
- Russian athletes participate for the first time in 40 years (appearing as the Soviet Union for the first time).
- Nina Romashkova becomes the first Soviet Athlete to win gold, thanks to her performance in the woman's discus throwing event.
- The Soviet Union's Maria Gorokhovskaya sets a new world record with the most medals by a woman in one games, with two golds and five silvers.
- Czechoslovakia's Emil Zátopek sets Olympic records in the 5,000 meter race, 10,000 meter race, and the marathon, an event he'd never run before.
- Germany and Japan are invited after being barred from the 1948 Summer Olympics.
- Israel makes it's first ever appearance in the Olympics (they didn't compete in 1948 because of their war of independence).
- The Republic of China (Taiwan) withdrew from the Games on July 20, in protest of allowing the People's Republic of China to compete.
- Saarland competed for the first and only time in the Olympics. They joined United Team of Germany in the 1956 Melbourne games.
- East Germany did not compete in these games
- Non-military officers are allowed to be equestrian riders for the first time. Also a female equestrian event was held for the first time, in which Denmark's Lis Hartel won the first gold medal.
- Bob Mathias of the United States became the first Olympian to successfully defend his decathlon title, with a total score of 7,887 points.
- Main article: 1952 Summer Olympics medal table
- United States 40 Gold, 19 Silver and 17 Bronze. 76 Total.
- Soviet Union 22 Gold, 30 Silver and 19 Bronze. 71 Total.
- Hungary 16 Gold, 10 Silver and 16 Bronze. 42 Total.
- Sweden 12 Gold, 13 Silver and 10 Bronze. 35 Total.
- Germany 7 Silver and 17 Bronze. 24 Total.
- Finland 6 Gold, 3 Silver and 13 Bronze. 22 Total.
- Italy 8 Gold, 9 Silver and 4 Bronze. 21 Total.
- France 6 Gold, 6 Silver and 6 Bronze. 18 Total.
- Switzerland 2 Gold, 6 Silver and 6 Bronze. 14 Total.
- Czechoslovakia 7 Gold, 3 Silver and 3 Bronze. 13 Total.
- Logos - A collection of logos featuring this event.
- Mascots - The official mascots of this Olympics'.
- Torch - Information about this Olympics' torch.
| Succeeded by|
| Succeeded by|
|This article is a stub. Please help Olympics Wiki by expanding it, adding pictures, and improving existing text.