- There were 255 total athletes from 92 countries.
- Fatima Hirech was the youngest participant with 15 years and 357 days.
- Tom Goegebuer was the oldest participant with 41 years and 133 days.
- 7 participants were chosen to be a flag bearer at the opening ceremony.
- 2 nations (Bulgaria and Russia) were banned from participating.
- 5 world records and 4 Olympic records were broken.
- 2 medal winners were disqualified after testing positive for doping.
- Kazakhstan won 6 medals, more than in any other sport.
- Thailand and North Korea won 4 medals, more than in any other sport.
- Chinese Taipei, Turkey and Indonesia won 2 medals, more than in any other sport.
- The Philippines won their only medal.